Mercy For Animals Investigates Iowa Select Farms Animal Abuse
This video was taken as part of a Mercy For Animals undercover investigation into the inhuman treaty animals receive at Iowa Select Farms, the nation’s largest pork producer in Kamrar, Iowa, in their journey from factory to your plate.
I would be willing to bet that the majority of you who enjoy some crispy bacon slices wouldn’t have the heart to do this to animals even for a snack. It’s cruel and heartless but as consumers of pork you have a hand in this treatment.
This isn’t the first video example of animal cruelty that any of us has seen I’m sure but it is one of the most difficult to watch. When you see the pretty package in the grocery store it’s easy to be removed from these actions. This type of treatment will continue as long you continue to buy these products.
From the YouTube description:
Between April and June of 2011, an MFA investigator documented:
– Mother sows confined to barren metal crates barely larger than their own bodies — unable to turn around or lie down comfortably for nearly their entire lives
– Workers ripping out the testicles of conscious piglets without the use of painkillers
– Piglets suffering with herniated intestines, due to botched castration
– Conscious piglets having their tails painfully sliced into and yanked off with dull clippers
– Large, open, pus-filled wounds and pressure sores
– Sick and injured pigs left to languish and slowly die without proper veterinary care
– Mother pigs — physically taxed from constant birthing — suffering from distended, inflamed, bleeding, and usually fatal uterine prolapses
– Management training workers to throw piglets across the room — comparing it to a “roller coaster ride”
Nom nom nom?